Board of Commissioners of Spalding County
February 5, 2018
119 E. Solomon St., Meeting Room 108
I. OPENING (CALL TO ORDER)
PLEASE SILENCE YOUR CELLPHONES AND ALL OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES .
Commissioner Rita Johnson will lead the Invocation.
III. PLEDGE TO FLAG
Commissioner Donald Hawbaker, District #5, will lead the pledge to the flag.
1. Lift from the table an appointment to the Spalding County Library Board of Trustees:
(a) to succeed John Groth for a four year term to expire 12/31/2021.
2. Consider appointment to the Spalding County Board of Health to fill the unexpired term of Teresa
Buchanan to expire December 31, 2022. This position represents the “Consumer or an advocate for
consumers of health services.”
3. Consider appointment of Chairman or deisgnee to the Atlanta Regional Commission for calendar year
1. Miller Edwards of Mauldin & Jenkins LLC is present to present the FY 2017 Comprehensive Annual
VI. PRESENTATION OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
1. Consider approval of financial statements for the six months ended December 31, 2017.
VII. CITIZEN COMMENT
Speakers must sign up prior to the meeting and provide their names, addresses and topic in which
they will speak on. Speakers must direct all comments to the Board only. Speakers will be allotted
three (3) minutes to speak on their chosen topics and relate to matters pertinent to the jurisdiction of
the Board of the Commissioners. No questions will be asked by any of the commissioners during
citizen comments. Outbursts from the audience will not be tolerated. Common courtesy and civility
are expected at all times during the meeting.
VIII. MINUTES –
1. Consider approval of minutes for the Spalding County Board of Commissioners Regular Meeting on
January 8, 2018, the Spalding County Board of Commissioners Special Called Meeting on January
22, 2018, Spalding County Board of Commissioners Closed Session on January 22, 2018 and the
Board of Commissioners Special Called Meeting on January 26, 2018.
IX. CONSENT AGENDA –
X. OLD BUSINESS –
1. Lift from the table a discussion regarding a request to introduce legislation to clarify supervision of
the position of Elections Supervisor.
XI. NEW BUSINESS –
1. Consider purchase of new Self Contained Breathing Apparatus for the Spalding County Fire
Department from Municipal Emergency Services in the amount of $391,880.00.
2. Consider implementation of a Training Reimbursement Agreement for outside training provided by
Spalding County to employees that will allow reimbursement of training costs should the employee
end their employment with Spalding County within 24 months of completion of training.
3. Consider approval of Fire Training reimbursement agreement.
4. Consider approval on first reading an Ordinance establishing a 25 MPH speed limit on Coe Drive.
5. Consider approval of New Concept Plan and Revised Final Construction Plans Proposal from Falcon
Design Consultants for realignment of Intersection #3.
6. Consider recommendation from Park and Recreation Advisory Commission to approve the fundraising
proposal by the Leadership Griffin+Spalding class of 2018 to construct a Dog Park on Carver
7. Consider Resolution supporting the application for FY2018 CDBG funds to be applied toward sewer
improvements in the Dundee Mills target area.
8. Consider approval of FY 2019 Budget Calendar.
XII. REPORT OF COUNTY MANAGER
1. 2016 SPLOST Revenues for December 2017
2. Review of 2017 Spalding County Government Accomplishments.
3. Nominations for the Bain Proctor Award for Volunteerism are open and will be accepted through
February 28, 2018
4. Chairman Ray has requested an update on the status of the old correctional building received from
Georgia Department of Corrections.
XIII. REPORT OF COMMISSIONERS
XIV. CLOSED SESSION