About 7:15 Tuesday evening City of Griffin Police, Griffin Fire Rescue, Spalding Regional EMS and Emory Air Flight responded to the scene of a two vehicle collision at Broad and Fifteenth streets involving two vehicles. One of the vehicles knocked down the street sign at that location and a female elderly person was trapped inside his vehicle and was unisonous. EMS personal revived the individual who was incoherent. The Female was airlifted from the Second Baptist Church parking lot to the Atlanta Medical Center by Emory Air Flight Helicopter Air Ambulance for further observation and treatment. Griffin Police are investigating the accident more information is expected to be released later.
The weather forecast indicates Tuesday a 30 percent chance of rain 83 degrees for a high and 63 for a overnight low. On Wednesday again a 30 percent chance of rain with temperatures edging back to the mid 80 s at 85 degrees. and a over night low of 65. For Thursday a 40 percent chance of rain with a high of 86 and low of 67. Friday will see rainfall tapering off a big to 20 percent whit a high of 81 and low of 64.
Sheriff Wendell Beam has has advised WKEU news that Eliseo Cervantes, age 24, of 32 Old Post Road, in Jonesboro,
was arrested on Thursday, April 28, 2016. Cervantes was stopped for a traffic violation and a K-9 alerted to the odor of drugs in his vehicle. During the search agents with the Spalding County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Unit located a kilogram (2.2 lbs.), of heroin, and a loaded handgun. The street value of the heroin is in excess of $100,000.00. Cervantes is being held in the Spalding County Jail without bond on the following charges:
- Trafficking Heroin
- Possession of Heroin
- Possession of Marijuana less that one ounce
- Possession of a Firearm During Commission of a Crime
- Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
- Window Tint Violation
Terri Colling voter registrar for Scalding County has announced that early voting for the General Primary is:
Monday, May 2nd, 2016 through Friday, May 20th, 2016. 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
Saturday voting will be available on May 14, 2016 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Spalding County residents can vote early at the:
Office of Elections and Voter Registration 825 Memorial Drive Griffin, GA 30224
Registered voters are not required to provide a reason to early vote.
Photo ID is required.
If you have any questions, please call: The voter registrars office at 770/467-4245
There will be a Parent and teen Driver Education Program at the UGA Griffin Campus to assist young drivers that ages 14, 15, and 16 who will be getting their driver license. Georgia Law now requires the program for all new drivers that will be getting their license. The Course will be May 31st at 6:30 at the UGA Griffin Campus. Changes in the Law for teen drivers put parents squarely in the passenger’s seat. It requires that anyone who applies for a permanent driver’s license must have a parent, legal guardian or responsible adult sign a verification form affirming that the candidate has completed 40 hours (with 6 hours at night) of supervised driving experience, if the candidate has successfully completed an approved driver education course. The Course is free.
The Georgia Traffic Injury Prevention Institute (GTIPI) at The University of Georgia is bringing the Parents Reducing Injuries and Driver Error program—to help Spalding County parents prepare their 14, 15 and 16-year-olds to drive.
The classes will:
- Help parents and guardians become more aware of their own driving behaviors,
- Teach parents and guardians how to help their teens become safe drivers,
- Help parents, guardians and teens learn what they need to do during the supervised practice
- The program is designed to alter attitudes and driving behaviors of novice teen drivers.
A teen and at least one parent or guardian must register to attend. Call Lt. Douglas A. Rogers 7702296451 Ext 502 or email email@example.com to register.