School opens August 3 for Griffin-Spalding County School System’s students, faculty and staff.
GSCS hired over 140 new teachers for the 2015-16 school year. Pre-planning for GSCS teachers and administrators will be the week of July 27 – 31. The annual Education Celebration will be held on July 29.
All GSCS schools will host an Open House on July 30 from 3 pm – 7 pm. This open house gives families a chance to tour their school, meet teachers and administrators, ask questions and get any needed information. The first day of school for students will be August 3. School times will remain the same as last year (elementary: 8 am – 2:50 pm; middle: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm; High: 7:40 am – 3:20 pm).
Other key dates for the 2015-2016 school year include:
- Aug. 25: Elementary Curriculum Night
- Sept. 3: High School Curriculum Night
- Sept. 7: Labor Day holiday
- Sept. 10: Middle School Curriculum Night
- Sept. 30: Early Release
- Oct. 12 – 16: Fall break
- Oct. 19: Report Cards
- Nov. 23-27: Thanksgiving break
- Dec. 21-Jan. 4: Christmas break
- Jan. 6: Report Cards
- Feb. 12-19: Winter break
- March 9: Early Release
- March 22: Report Cards
- April 18-22: Spring break
- May 26: Last day of school
- May 26: A. Z. Kelsey Academy Graduation, 9:30am, Griffin Auditorium
- May 26: Spalding High Graduation, 7pm, Memorial Stadium
- May 27: Griffin High Graduation, 7pm, Memorial Stadium
Visit the Back to School section on our website at http://www.spalding.k12.ga.us to see the complete GSCS 2015-16 school year calendar. This section also includes:
2015-16 School Supply List
- Student Testing Schedule
- Transportation Information
- School Meal Prices
- Free/Reduced Meal Application
- Registration Information and Required Documents
Parents or Guardians of students that have moved into Spalding County or moved within Spalding County are required to register for school at Central Registration. Avoid lines and delays by registering early. Early registration will be held July 13 – 23, Monday through Thursday from 8 am – 4 pm at the Parent Services Center, 234 E Taylor Street. Complete the registration forms online prior to visiting the Parent Service Center at www.tinyurl.com/gscsregistration.
Current research shows that when schools, families and the community must work together to support learning. Students like school more, do better in school and stay in school longer when families are involved in student’s education.
“The Griffin-Spalding County School System has planned another year of teaching, learning and student success,” said Jim Smith, school superintendent.